DU can be use behide firewall

Asks questions about settings, bugs...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

cv

DU can be use behide firewall

Postby cv » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:21 am

can the DU run behide firewall using remote desktop?

DiskDrive

Re: DU can be use behide firewall

Postby DiskDrive » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:50 pm

cv wrote:can the DU run behide firewall using remote desktop?

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. Do you mean to ask if DU can run on your computer behind a firewall, enabling the use of remote desktop?

If so, then yes. DirectUpdate is a great product that enables you to associate the public IP address of your SOHO router/gateway with a specific DNS name. You could, then, refer to your connection as something like mypc.dyndns.org.

To use this in conjunction with remote desktop, you would need the destination computer inside your network to have a static IP. Then, you would need to program your router to forward RDP packets (TCP Port 3389) to that static IP address inside your network (such as 192.168.1.50, or whatever). For the remote PC, you would then create a connection to the DNS name you've setup (DU makes sure that the name would refer to the correct dynamic IP address on the Internet), which would then get passed along to the host PC.

All this, of course, assumes you're in a SOHO environment behind a broadband router you have control over. If you're in a corporate environment with heavy-duty firewalls and routers, it's a totally different story.

I hope this helps!

broocya

Postby broocya » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 am

How to change Firewall settings to get better Xbox Live connection? I was trying to play Gears of War 2 when a message popped up saying that my connection may be poor because of my firewall settings. How do I make my connection better? I have noticed my connection to be poor at times.
Last edited by broocya on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi,

Please, refer to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Hope it helps
William

Return to “Questions, bugs,...”