DirectUpdate trial period has expired

Asks questions about settings, bugs...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

David

DirectUpdate trial period has expired

Postby David » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:12 pm

DUD 4.05 just keeps giving trial period expired error. It won't update a ZoneEdit account. What is wrong? Do I need to get a license?

DiskDrive

Re: DirectUpdate trial period has expired

Postby DiskDrive » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:45 am

David wrote:DUD 4.05 just keeps giving trial period expired error. It won't update a ZoneEdit account. What is wrong? Do I need to get a license?

DirectUpdate is shareware. You can use DirectUpdate for a trial period of up to 60 days. Continued use beyond that period of time requires registration, which can be done at:

http://www.directupdate.net/register.html

Best of luck,
DiskDrive

David

Postby David » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:03 pm

I thought that it would still work except for the warning message. I am concerned that it was some wrong settings on my part.

DiskDrive

Postby DiskDrive » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:58 am

David wrote:I thought that it would still work except for the warning message. I am concerned that it was some wrong settings on my part.

Just to confirm, you have been using the software for at least 60 days, right? If that is the case, DirectUpdate should cease operation until it is registered.

If, on the other hand, it has been less than 60 days, we'd be interested in hearing a lot more details about your scenario.

killerbot

faq is incorrect then

Postby killerbot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:51 pm

The faq still states that it will continue towork but you get the extra dialogs asking you to register.
The main page however states that after 60 days, the free fun is over and you need to register. => Adjust the faq ??

DiskDrive

Re: faq is incorrect then

Postby DiskDrive » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:30 pm

killerbot wrote:The faq still states that it will continue towork but you get the extra dialogs asking you to register.
The main page however states that after 60 days, the free fun is over and you need to register. => Adjust the faq ??

That FAQ entry was left over from the version 3 way of doing things. You're right that the FAQ does need to be adjusted to reflect the way version 4 works now.

I'll bring this to William's attention.

Thanks!
DiskDrive

mbarkaszi@zumerfolg.no-ip

Postby mbarkaszi@zumerfolg.no-ip » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:38 pm

DiskDrive wrote:
David wrote:I thought that it would still work except for the warning message. I am concerned that it was some wrong settings on my part.

Just to confirm, you have been using the software for at least 60 days, right? If that is the case, DirectUpdate should cease operation until it is registered.

If, on the other hand, it has been less than 60 days, we'd be interested in hearing a lot more details about your scenario.

I downloaded the DUSetupUS410.zip.
First. I installed it on an NT server.
Just after the installation, at the first run (less than in a minute), the program warned me that the trial period expired, so I have to register and, of course, pay for it.
I uninstalled it from the server, and repeated the installation on a simple XP workstation.
The result is the same: trial period expired immediately.
It seems to me that it is an unfriendly behavior from a shareware.

DiskDrive

Postby DiskDrive » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:52 pm

mbarkaszi@zumerfolg.no-ip wrote:I downloaded the DUSetupUS410.zip.
First. I installed it on an NT server.
Just after the installation, at the first run (less than in a minute), the program warned me that the trial period expired, so I have to register and, of course, pay for it.
I uninstalled it from the server, and repeated the installation on a simple XP workstation.
The result is the same: trial period expired immediately.
It seems to me that it is an unfriendly behavior from a shareware.

One thing to try: Uninstall what you have right now, then remove the following section from your Windows registry:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fraggers.net

Try re-installing from there and report your results.

Have you ever installed a prior version of DirectUpdate on either of these PC's before? If not, you may have found a bug.

Please get back to us with details of which version(s) may have previously been installed, which platform (32 or 64 bit) you're trying to work on right now, plus any other relevant information.

Thanks!

Ed

Same Problem

Postby Ed » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:15 am

I just installed the software for the first time today, and when it started up said the trial period had expired. I downloaded and installed the software tonight (1/18/06). I have never installed this software before.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed

Re: Same Problem

Postby Ed » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:39 pm

Ed wrote:I just installed the software for the first time today, and when it started up said the trial period had expired. I downloaded and installed the software tonight (1/18/06). I have never installed this software before.

Thanks,
Ed

I followed your instructions and uninstalled and deleted the registry key, reinstalled and then it worked. So why did I have to install, uninstall, install? I downloaded the 32bit english version off your downloads page.

DiskDrive

Postby DiskDrive » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Ed wrote:I followed your instructions and uninstalled and deleted the registry key, reinstalled and then it worked. So why did I have to install, uninstall, install? I downloaded the 32bit english version off your downloads page.

You had never installed a prior version of this software before?

I've been attempting to replicate the problem on a couple of systems, but find that if this is the first time any version of DU was ever installed, I can't get the expiry to come up. If it was a case where I had previously installed an unregistered version, it might be a different story.

Sombody Special

Postby Sombody Special » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:42 am

DiskDrive wrote:
Ed wrote:I followed your instructions and uninstalled and deleted the registry key, reinstalled and then it worked. So why did I have to install, uninstall, install? I downloaded the 32bit english version off your downloads page.

You had never installed a prior version of this software before?

I've been attempting to replicate the problem on a couple of systems, but find that if this is the first time any version of DU was ever installed, I can't get the expiry to come up. If it was a case where I had previously installed an unregistered version, it might be a different story.

I have never had any dynamic DNS software ever installed. My linksys router has always handled it for dyndns.org. Well now that I want to use zoneedit.com, I can't use my Router to update my IP, so I got DirectUpdate as recommened by a zoneedit.com FAQ. I am expierienceing the expiration error immidiatly after install and first run. I have attempted the registry editing with a reinstall of the software, but that has not fixed the problem. If the trial software doesn't even work correctly, how am I supposed to expect the full version to work.

DiskDrive

Postby DiskDrive » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:32 am

Sombody Special wrote:I have never had any dynamic DNS software ever installed. My linksys router has always handled it for dyndns.org. Well now that I want to use zoneedit.com, I can't use my Router to update my IP, so I got DirectUpdate as recommened by a zoneedit.com FAQ. I am expierienceing the expiration error immidiatly after install and first run. I have attempted the registry editing with a reinstall of the software, but that has not fixed the problem.

Thanks for the information on this. Although I personally haven't been able to replicate the problem obviously doesn't mean that other such as yourself are not experiencing it.

Your experience confirms that there is a problem that warrants further investigation. Please either register here on the forum or send an e-mail to William (DU's author) using the address

willynt @ directupdate . net
(just remove the spaces)

Let him know that you're having this problem, so he can contact you if further debugging or testing is necessary.

Thanks,
DiskDrive

DiskDrive

Postby DiskDrive » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:02 pm

William has confirmed that this is a very elusive bug that he has yet been able to squash, especially since it is not easily duplicated on every installation.

Investigation of this problem continues. Those of you who have experienced this problem are advised to make sure you're registered on this forum. This may enable William to contact you should there be an opportunity to do some debugging in your environment.

Regards,
DiskDrive

DiskDrive

Postby DiskDrive » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:16 pm

William Levra-Juillet, DirectUpdate's author, has asked that those who are experiencing expiration of their trial period before 60 days has elapsed from the date of installation to do the following:

1- Launch regedit to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fraggers.net\DirectUpdate\Engine
2- Export the whole branch to a reg file
3- Rename the reg file with a txt extension and edit it (with notepad for example)
4- Modify all the "Password" values for security reasons
5- E-mail the txt file to William at the following address, removing the spaces inserted in the address to thwart spammer scripts: willynt @ directupdate . net

Thanks for everybody's help!
DiskDrive

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:30 am

I worked on this issue.
Apparently, the problem occurs only the 1st day after installation.
The next day, the engine reports "59days left".
Could you confirm ?

I'll fix this issue in the next official 4.1.1
Sorry for the troubles
William

Return to “Questions, bugs,...”