DirectUpdate-ZoneEdit-Multiple Computers on a Router

Asks questions about settings, bugs...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

nineback

DirectUpdate-ZoneEdit-Multiple Computers on a Router

Postby nineback » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:10 am

I have a router with multiple computers. I am using ZoneEdit to map my dynamic address to a static one. How do I set up DirectUpdate so that the ZoneEdit IP points to a specific computer on my network? The instruction on the ZoneEdit site leave something to be desired.

Thanks,

Tom

DiskDrive

Re: DirectUpdate-ZoneEdit-Multiple Computers on a Router

Postby DiskDrive » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:11 pm

nineback wrote:I have a router with multiple computers. I am using ZoneEdit to map my dynamic address to a static one. How do I set up DirectUpdate so that the ZoneEdit IP points to a specific computer on my network? The instruction on the ZoneEdit site leave something to be desired.

Hi, Tom!

Assuming for a moment that this is a standard residential-style NAT router, your router is going to be assigned a single IP address by your ISP. Running DU on one of your computers will associate the router's public IP address with the DNS name you setup.

In this scenario, ZoneEdit will NOT point to a specific computer on your network, but only to your router. If you wish to run a service on a specific computer inside your network, you will likely need to assign it a static IP address inside your network (using the same address range as the router is using on the LAN side -- for example 192.168.0.xxx) and setup port forwarding in the router, so that requests from the Internet to -- say port 80 on your router would then get forwarded to a web server on the designated computer inside your network.

The reason ZoneEdit may not have much information on this is due to the fact that this is really an issue for your specific router. Documentation and support forums for your router brand and model may be of greater help with more specifics on how to set this up.

Good luck,
DiskDrive

nineback

Postby nineback » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Thanks a lot for the info. I understood about the router being assigned the IP address. I just wasn't sure how to get it routed to a specific computer on my network. I am using a Lynksys router so I will check with forums.

Tom

DiskDrive wrote:
nineback wrote:I have a router with multiple computers. I am using ZoneEdit to map my dynamic address to a static one. How do I set up DirectUpdate so that the ZoneEdit IP points to a specific computer on my network? The instruction on the ZoneEdit site leave something to be desired.

Hi, Tom!

Assuming for a moment that this is a standard residential-style NAT router, your router is going to be assigned a single IP address by your ISP. Running DU on one of your computers will associate the router's public IP address with the DNS name you setup.

In this scenario, ZoneEdit will NOT point to a specific computer on your network, but only to your router. If you wish to run a service on a specific computer inside your network, you will likely need to assign it a static IP address inside your network (using the same address range as the router is using on the LAN side -- for example 192.168.0.xxx) and setup port forwarding in the router, so that requests from the Internet to -- say port 80 on your router would then get forwarded to a web server on the designated computer inside your network.

The reason ZoneEdit may not have much information on this is due to the fact that this is really an issue for your specific router. Documentation and support forums for your router brand and model may be of greater help with more specifics on how to set this up.

Good luck,
DiskDrive

DiskDrive

Postby DiskDrive » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:56 pm

nineback wrote:Thanks a lot for the info. I understood about the router being assigned the IP address. I just wasn't sure how to get it routed to a specific computer on my network. I am using a Lynksys router so I will check with forums.

Even though it may be a bit off-topic for a DU forum, if you elaborate a bit more on what type of service you're trying to host inside your network, we may still be able to help you out here.

Best of luck,
DiskDrive

panchyee

Postby panchyee » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 am

What is the Best router for xbox live, and is it possible to have 2 routers in one house? right now there is already a router in our house(my mom's) and she hates messing with it so i can play online so i was thinkin about buyin a new one before modern warfare 2 comes out... any suggestions?
Last edited by panchyee on Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Wed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm

panchyee wrote:What is the Best router for xbox live, and is it possible to have 2 routers in one house? right now there is already a router in our house(my mom's) and she hates messing with it so i can play online so i was thinkin about buyin a new one before modern warfare 2 comes out... any suggestions?

Hi,
Having a 2nd router makes sense only if you have a 2nd broadband access!
So, your mom have her own internet access and router, and you have your dedicated gaming access/router.
But it means another monthly contract with your ISP :(

Regards
William

Return to “Questions, bugs,...”