Service refuses to stop

Asks questions about settings, bugs...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

RMN

Service refuses to stop

Postby RMN » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:39 am

Hello. I've installed the latest version of DU. In adittion to the errors mentioned by others (apparently related to VS 2005), the DU engine service refuses to stop or restart. I can kill it manually, but it won't stop or restart, either from the administration module or the windows console. It just gets locked in a "stopping..." state, until I manually kill it.

This causes a significant delay when shutting down, and an error in the event log saying:

Windows saved user SYSTEMNAME\USERNAME registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, with no change. I've noticed that, when I reinstall, all my old settings are still there, so it seems the uninstaller isn't removing everything, which could mean this is simply some kind of configuration problem.

Any ideas?

RMN
~~~

DiskDrive

Re: Service refuses to stop

Postby DiskDrive » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:40 pm

RMN wrote:I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, with no change. I've noticed that, when I reinstall, all my old settings are still there, so it seems the uninstaller isn't removing everything, which could mean this is simply some kind of configuration problem.

To remove most (if not all) of the settings after uninstallation, blow away the following registry key:

Code: Select all

[HKLM\Software\Fraggers.net]

Hope this helps,
DiskDrive

RMN

Postby RMN » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:28 am

I deleted the key, reinstalled, and all was fine... until I added my accounts again.

After much testing, I've determined that the service closes (and restarts) fine as long as I have 5 accounts or less. As soon as I add a 6th account, the service gets "stuck" when told to stop, and has to be killed manualy. It doesn't seem to matter which accounts I have (I've tried deleting random ones with regedit, and it always works when there ar 5 or less).

These are accounts being imported from an older version of DirectUpdate (3.6, I think), so perhaps they are missing some setting that is confusing the program?

I've noticed DirectUpdate installs a link to a "Settings Converter" in the Start Menu, but when I try to run it I get an error message ("the application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect").

I'll try recreating every account manually, to see if that fixes the problem. Still, it's a bit weird that the service works fine with up to 5 accounts, and chokes with 6.

RMN
~~~

RMN

Postby RMN » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:50 am

I've recreated one account manually, and compared the information in the registry with the same account, imported from 3.6. The only difference that seems relevant (apart from "last error" and some timestamp fields) is the "flags" field. The brand-new account has a value of 0 (zero), the imported one has a value of 8 (eight).

The settings / options are absolutely identical when seen from within the DirectUpdate administration module, but in the registry, there's this difference.

Any idea what that 8 (lsbit 4 set) means?

RMN
~~~

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Thu May 04, 2006 1:16 pm

Hi,

bit 4 (value 8) means that the account is waiting for an update.
Note that the bit 0 (value 1) should be set if account is enabled.

Hope it helps
William

Return to “Questions, bugs,...”