how to handle dual wan / load balancing with zywall 35

Asks questions about settings, bugs...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

buran

Postby buran » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:12 pm

Hi
I have a dual WAN Firewall (ZyWall 35). When I use this device in Load-Balancing mode with i.e. round robin, DU detects once IP of WAN 1 once IP of WAN 2. So everey 5 min (or whatever the update-interval may be) DU detects a "new" ip-adress... This is completley nonsense :-)

Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks for help

miki

Postby miki » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:04 am

I have no idea ... sorry

Miki

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi Buran,

What are the settings of your IP detection ?
Are you using remote urls ? or do you grab the IP directly from the router ?

Thx to clarify
Regards
William

buran

Postby buran » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:33 pm

In German it is "allgemeine IP-Adresserkennung". I think, it tryes to detect the IP of the router.

When round robin is the load-balancing mode of the router, then directupdate will detect in a first session IP1, in a second sessin ip2 ansd so on.

so directupdate tries to update the ip at dyndns as often as the detection intervall is set...

The ZyWall 35 has a built in DynDns-Client, that handles fine both WAN-IPs, but there are only 5 accounts to handle.

Thanks for help.

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Ok, I had a look at the ZyWAll product page.

Apparently, DirectUpdate is setup to use remote web sites for IP detection (Option "4" in IPDetection settings).
Try to grab the IP directly from the router, is by far a much better solution (but impossible to setup at default install).

Recommended method is using the SNMP plug-in.
Enbale Option "3" (plug-in) and check the SNMP plug-in.
Click "Properties" and enter the local IP of your router (192.168.1.1 ?)
Then, click "Test" and see if it works...
For advanced users, it's possible to play with the OID field...

Alternate method:
In option "4", use first entry, and use an URL like "http://192.168.1.1/status.html" assuming 192.168.1.1 is the local IP of your router and "/status.html" the full path to the poage displayhing the WAN ips.

Hope it helps
Regards
William

buran

Seems to work!

Postby buran » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks for help.

The absolute killer wold be if directupdate could manage firewalls with two WAN-inerfaces. So one could separate traffic in a physical way...

Beat

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:01 pm

WE now have a inbound load balancing feature on ChangeIP.com - send x.x.x.x,y.y.y.y,z.z.z.z as the &myip parameter and we will automatically setup round robin DNS with the correct entries. This is an enhanced feature and needs to be activated for you account, so please email our support dept.

Sam

Return to “Questions, bugs,...”