unexpected character in an "host IP address" in DN

Asks questions about settings, bugs...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

tomasz hilsberg

unexpected character in an "host IP address" in DN

Postby tomasz hilsberg » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:16 pm

:cry: after upgrade to DU 4.0.4 i updated (with DU) my IP info in DNS Park.
it seems that DU added one alphabetic character after last octet of my IP address so it is something like 192.168.1.5r instead of 192.168.1.5.
i can see this extra character in DNS Park control panel.
there is different chcaracter for every domain that i have in DNS Park.
"nslookup" simply cannot determine the IP address.
for now, i corrected this problem, by forcing update with version 3.6.3 of DirectUpdate.
any idea what could be wrong?

willynt
Site Admin
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:32 am

Postby willynt » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi Thomas,

Could you send me a screenshot of the domain settings screen in DirectUpdate (v4 of course) ?

When you click in the "view last result" button, it opens your default browser.
The exact URL used is hidden inside html comment, inside the file (use your browser "view source" feature).
Can you see the "extra" char ?

Waiting for your feedbacks
Cu
William

Tomasz Hilsberg

DNS Park update error

Postby Tomasz Hilsberg » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:04 am

:cry: i checked account19.htm, i looked into comments.
it seems that right after last digit of the IP address there is the domain name without any separator.
see fragment of the comment (i changed my IP address just in case):
<-- ..... @www.dnspark.net/api/dynamic/update.php?hostname=art-b%2Eus&myip=69%2E248%2E114%2E12art-b%2Eus&mx=OFF -->

Tomasz Hilsberg

DNS Park update issue

Postby Tomasz Hilsberg » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:06 am

william,
i sent relevant data to phpbb@fraggers.net

willynt
Site Admin
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:32 am

Postby willynt » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:59 am

Hi Tomasz,

According to the screenshot you sent, you are using field "extra1" & "extra2" to store/display the domain name (I know many users were using this "trick" in 3.6).

But, with DNSPark, field "extra1" is part of the update URL, directly added after the IP address. So, the format to use is "&param=value".

In the 4.x, you can directly use the "Name" field (it's one of the enhancement to the 3.x) to store display info. And so, using the "extra" fields does not make sense anymore.

To summarize, empty/clear the "extra1" field :)
Note that you could also clear the "extra2" field:
- Disable the account.
- Switch to a "DNS service" type enabling "extra2" field and empty it.
- Go back to DNSPark service type.
- Re-enable the account.

Hope it helps
Regards
William


Return to “Questions, bugs,...”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests