updating a win2k dns server secure

Asks questions about settings, bugs...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

kd7tqn

updating a win2k dns server secure

Postby kd7tqn » Wed May 04, 2005 3:03 am

hi, ok here is the situation. i have a server at my g/f's house that provides them with dialup internet useing win2k's RRAS or Routing and remote access services. sence the ip changes every time the server disconnects and re connects to the internet, i need to update a "host" on my win2k3 server here at my house securely. when i try to get directupdate to update that host i get the messege "The name server refuses to perform the specified operation for policy or security reasons.
0x8184004b" and "Connecting to pnwrr.com:53 (TCP)... err=0x01840000 OK SND update request. Err=0x01840000 RCV server response. err=0x01840000 Security context successfully established using NTLM SND update request. Err=0x01840000 RCV server response. err=0x01840000"
i have checked and double checked my username and password and the domin / host fields un direct update.

please help

vpereyra

Postby vpereyra » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:38 pm

the same problem here

thanks for any advice

Fix

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:57 pm

You can set the zone to allow "Nonsecure and secure" updates.. turns out the protocol isn't the same as the windows 2003 secure update protocol it seems.

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:40 pm

Hello,

Apparently, the client machine has to be part of the server AD domain for "secured" update to be accepted by the server.
To bypass this limitation, I built a special utility/tool that acts like a "dns update proxy".
You install it on the server (so it's part of the AD), and it listens for update on a special port (54 by default). The, it passes the requests to the DNS server on port 53 and send back the result to the DirectUpdate client.

This tool (called DUProxy.exe) is still in beta stage.
If you are interested in beta-testing, let me know and I'll send it wirth pleasure.

Waiting for your feedbacks
Regards
William

Return to “Questions, bugs,...”