ZoneEdit update - 2 questions

New protocol, updates, ...

Moderators: willynt, DiskDrive, fifinou

GBodie

ZoneEdit update - 2 questions

Postby GBodie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I recently downloaded and installed DirectUpdate version 4.6.5 build 197 for x86 running on a Windows 2003 Server. It has been configured to update 2 different dynamic DNS servers: DynDNS and ZoneEdit. It correctly detects my current IP address and shows a green check mark on the client display.

For DynDNS it shows a green check mark and the status says “Network operation successfully completed” and the last result HTML shows:
<!-- URL: https://gcbodie:*****@members.dyndns.or ... offline=NO -->
<!-- START OF HTTP HEADER
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:22:34 GMT
Server: Apache
Content-Type: text/plain
Connection: close
END OF HTTP HEADER -->
good 64.231.160.176

For ZoneEdit it shows a green check mark and the status says “Network operation successfully completed” and the last result HTML shows:
<!-- URL: https://GBodie:*****@dynamic.zoneedit.c ... e=A&park=0 -->
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:50:47 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.59 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.59 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
Content-Length: 87
Content-Type: text/html
END OF HTTP HEADER -->
<ERROR CODE="708" TEXT="Login/authorization error" ZONE="" HOST="Bodie.ca" STAGE="3"/>

So I have 2 questions :?: :

1 – why did the ZoneEdit update fail when the logon ID and password I have typed into your client is exactly EXACTLY the same as I type when I login to the ZoneEdit website and that works OK? I have temporarily updated ZoneEdit manually until I can get your client to do it for me.

2 – why does your GUI show the green check mark on ZoneEdit and say that the operations was successful when in fact it failed? There is no indication in your GUI that the update did not succeed. The last result HTML when displayed in a browser also show no error indication. I have to look at the source for the HTML page in order to see that anything went wrong.

willynt
Site Admin

Re: ZoneEdit update - 2 questions

Postby willynt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 am

GBodie wrote:1 – why did the ZoneEdit update fail when the logon ID and password I have typed into your client is exactly EXACTLY the same as I type when I login to the ZoneEdit website and that works OK? I have temporarily updated ZoneEdit manually until I can get your client to do it for me.

2 – why does your GUI show the green check mark on ZoneEdit and say that the operations was successful when in fact it failed? There is no indication in your GUI that the update did not succeed. The last result HTML when displayed in a browser also show no error indication. I have to look at the source for the HTML page in order to see that anything went wrong.

1- ZoneEdit is moving to a new architecture. Some accounts are not migrated yet. For the accounts still on the old server, I attach a new plugin here. Simply unzip and copy the dud file in the "dns" subfolder, restart the engine and select dns type "ZoneEdit legacy".

2- This is a bug recently introduced, it will be fixed in the next release.

Sorry for the troubles
Regards
William
Attachments
ZoneEdit.legacy.dud.zip
ZoneEdit legacy plugin
(346 Bytes) Downloaded 1200 times

GBodie

Postby GBodie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks William, I'll try it, but I think you **may** have jumped to the conclusion. I'm under the impression that my ZoneEdit account has already been migrated to the new architecture. That's why I was trying DU in the first place. I used to use DynDNS from Mike Hacker but he's not maintaining it anymore and was not going to support the new ZoneEdit architecture. When his updating failed, I went looking for an alternative and found you. I'll get back to you on whether the legacy DUD does or doesn't work for me ... I've still got 40 days before my trial period expires :D

GBodie

Postby GBodie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:00 am

As I expected William. I extracted the DUD, put it in the "dns" sub-directory, restarted the engine, defined a new DNS update using that DUD, entered my parameters and it tried to update but said: Access denied, invalid ID/password, error code 0x81850191 and locked the account.

So the root cause is NOT that my account has not yet been migrated to the new structure. The problem remains -
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:10:12 GMT
END OF HTTP HEADER -->

<ERROR CODE="708" TEXT="Login/authorization error" ZONE="" HOST="Bodie.ca" STAGE="3"/>

And I assert that the ID and password I have entered are EXACTLY the same as the ones I use to update the DNS records manually through the ZoneEdit website.

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi,

I think the best way is to contact ZoneEdit support.
Send them the replies from their server (what you posted here).
Cos obviously, it looks like an issue with the server...

Thx to keep feedback posted here!
Regards
William

mweitsen

Postby mweitsen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 pm

I can verify this, on both fronts:

I have a legacy zoneedit registration and an old version of DirectUpdate (4.5.1 Update build 161) and the tool still works as is, the DUD file update was not necessary for me.

My co-worker wants an identical setup as mine and set himself up with a new ZoneEdit account and a current version of DirectUpdate and he see's the same error as above....DU says it the update was successful, but ZoneEdit isn't showing any changes. ZoneEdit's response to him was "use the other tool on our website" which was zedyn (they also list DirectUpdate as their other updater) ...

When is the next release that would address this?

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:06 pm

GBodie wrote:So the root cause is NOT that my account has not yet been migrated to the new structure. The problem remains -
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:10:12 GMT
END OF HTTP HEADER -->

Hi GBodie,
I noticed that you entered "GBodie.ca" for the host. But the host should be "www.gbodie.ca" or "anything.gbodie.ca" (not just gbodie.ca).
Try using *.gbodie.ca to see if it works, or http://www.gbodie.ca.
I contacted ZoneEdit to clarify what's wrong with the new server.

Keep posted :)
Sorry for the troubles
William

GBodie

Postby GBodie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Actually, no. "Bodie.ca" is correct. You have a choice in how you setup your ZE account. There is no "anything.bodie.ca" and I have no machine that expects to respond to that. The domain name is addressed at the gateway router into my network. From there, my router maps particular protocols to particular machines (80 to the web server, 25 to the mail server, etc etc). All of the internal network addresses are private address space 192.168.x.x (not routable) so it would not work to make them visible from the outside.

I have had an email conversation with ZE and they think they had a problem that they've now fixed and that MIGHT have explained what was happening. They didn't give me any details on what that problem was. I need to do a little testing before declaring success, of course - hopefully today.

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:57 pm

GBodie wrote:Actually, no. "Bodie.ca" is correct. You have a choice in how you setup your ZE account. There is no "anything.bodie.ca" and I have no machine that expects to respond to that. The domain name is addressed at the gateway router into my network. From there, my router maps particular protocols to particular machines (80 to the web server, 25 to the mail server, etc etc). All of the internal network addresses are private address space 192.168.x.x (not routable) so it would not work to make them visible from the outside.

I have had an email conversation with ZE and they think they had a problem that they've now fixed and that MIGHT have explained what was happening. They didn't give me any details on what that problem was. I need to do a little testing before declaring success, of course - hopefully today.

Hi GBodie, I understand your configuration, but when sending the request to the ZoneEdit server, we have to specify zone=xxx or host=xxx.
DirectUpdate always send "host=" (and never "zone="), that's what I meant by "GBodie.ca" is incorrect...

Thx for posting here the results of your test(s).
Regards
William

GBodie

Postby GBodie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:43 pm

The host name and the zone name are the same in this case, no subdomains, and that should be OK. If you "dig" you see:

C:\Utils>dig @ns2.zoneedit.com bodie.ca any
bodie.ca. 300 IN NS ns2.zoneedit.com.
bodie.ca. 300 IN NS ns3.zoneedit.com.
bodie.ca. 300 IN MX 0 mail.dessus.com.
bodie.ca. 300 IN A 70.29.19.156
bodie.ca. 7200 IN SOA ns2.zoneedit.com. soacontact.zoneedit.com. 2011010799 2400 360 1209600 300

There's just the one A record. So http://bodie.ca becomes http://70.29.19.156 which gets to my gateway which passes it off to 192.168.1.95 which is my Web server. Trust me, this has worked for years.

I guess if I wanted a www.bodie.ca I could add another A record and have your tool update that as well ... but why?

willynt
Site Admin

Postby willynt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:37 am

I 100% agree with you!
I was not saying that your settings were wrong!
I was saying that But that DIrectUpdate is wrong, because it sends "host=xxx" even for a zone!

But as you say it worked fine, then it means the ZoneEdit server handles it correctly.
Let's hope the ZoneEdity fix will solve the issues...

Cheers
William

GBodie

Postby GBodie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Whatever changes ZE made seem to have resolved the problem. DU is now updating ZE correctly, so that's it for my question #1.

Now for question #2. You said it would be fixed in the next release. I'm on 4.6.5 build 197. Any schedule for the next release?

And now that DU is doing the update correctly, when I ask it to "View last result" the web page that appears is completely blank. If I want to see the status I have to use my browser to "view the source" of the web page - the status is buried inside that. Could you possibly get some of that status into the body of the HTML as displayed by the browser? The line

<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="Update succeeded." ZONE="Bodie.ca" IP="70.49.184.188"/>

does not result in anything appearing in the main window. How about parsing it and displaying the TEXT and the IP?

Return to “DNS services”